The incredible versatility of the Texas Army National Guard enables us to respond to domestic emergencies, combat missions, counterdrug efforts, reconstruction missions and more—all with equal speed, strength and efficiency.
Whether the call is coming from the state governor or directly from the president of the United States, Texas Army National Guard Soldiers are Always Ready and Always There.
You'll serve your community, your state and your country.
As a Guard Soldier, you can expect your primary area of operation to be your home state, following the leadership of your state adjutant general and governor. This may include community efforts, responding to wildfires or floods. Or, it may include serving overseas and training foreign forces.
You will also be prepared to mobilize when directed by the president. This may include overseas service or domestic service, such as serving along the Texas-Mexico border.
You are eligible to join the Texas Army National Guard if you meet the following criteria:
- You meet the physical, academic, and legal qualifications.
- The minimum age to join the Texas Army National Guard is 17. Persons under age 18 must obtain the consent of a parent or legal guardian.
- Obtain a minimum qualifying score on the Armed Forces Vocational Aptitude Battery exam (ASVAB). Your ASVAB score will determine which job or a Military Occupational Specialty (MOS), you are qualified for. Your recruiter will provide you with more exact information and make recommendations regarding your qualification status.
- Meet citizenship requirements (see details below)
- Persons who were born in the 50 United States including the commonwealths, Guam, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and the American Samoa are eligible for enlistment.
- Persons born abroad on a military installation, or born abroad to U.S. parents who were citizens at the time are also eligible for enlistment.
- Persons considered to be aliens who have been lawfully and permanently admitted to the United States and requested permanent residence.
*Please contact your recruiter for details.