This benefit is available to active drilling members of the Texas Army National Guard (TXARNG), Texas Air National Guard (TXANG) and Texas State Guard (TXSG) who have completed Basic Training (or its equivalent).
Eligible Members must be enrolled in a nationally or regionally accredited Texas college or university and pursuing a certification, the first undergraduate or graduate degree. Second or lateral degrees are not eligible.
This state benefit funds from 3 to 12 credit hours of tuition and mandatory fees per academic semester. Award amounts are based on: 1) available funding, 2) the number of applicants for that semester and 3) the successful completion of courses.
The STRP will reimburse Service Members with out-of-pocket expenses for tuition and mandatory fees. Students are responsible for the school payment of tuition and fees at the beginning of the semester. At the conclusion of the semester, students submit a copy of their official transcript to the Education Office to verify successful course completion. Award payments are issued through the school. Failed, dropped and incomplete classes are not reimbursed.
January 15, 2017: Primary application deadline.
February 5, 2017: Extended application deadline.
February 26, 2017: Deadline for additional & supporting documentation (Memo of Good Standing, invoice and schedule).
June 4, 2017: Deadline to submit official or copy of official transcript.
<<Click here>> for the Spring 17 Application Form
<<Click here>> for the Memorandum of Good Standing
- Complete the PDF-fillable application, (6 pages in total).
- It is recommended that applicants fill out this application electronically. Red fields are required information.
- Sign using a CAC electronic signature
- If CAC reader is not available, print out form
- Hand sign and scan back to your computer
- Submit completed application to the Education Office
- If you CAC signed, submit by clicking on the "Submit" button at the top of the form.
- If you manually signed, attach the scanned document to an email and send to the Education Office at: Email
- Additional documents- see “Deadlines” section for more details
- If unable to complete the form electronically
- Print out the form
- Manually fill out and sign as required
- Scan and attach the file to an email and send to: Email
- Additional documents- see “Deadlines” section for more details
- Required documents
- Course Schedule and Fee statement-Send these AFTER the add/drop period to show any schedule changes
- Army National Guard Members ONLY: Memorandum of Good Standing –Submit to your unit for Commander’s signature as soon as possible to allow maximum time for review.
- Optional document (send only if information is not reflected on your fee statement)
- Financial Aid awards (grants, scholarships)
- Other military tuition assistance (9/11 GI Bill, FTA, Hazlewood Exemption)
- Keep a copy of the completed application for your own records
- All members of Army, Air, and State Guard should email their applications to: Email
- Air Guard and State Guard Members are encouraged to copy "CC" their component POC offices as required.
- If the application is not sent to this Email address, it may not be received by the deadline, which could disqualify the applicant from receiving a tuition award.
- At the completion of the academic semester, STRP Applicants are required to submit an official or copy of official transcript to: Email by June 04, 2017.
NOTE: Transcript must be an official or copy of official transcript. Copies of online grade reports or snapshots of grades are not accepted and will be RETURNED WITHOUT ACTION. Failure to submit an official or copy of official transcript by 04 JUNE 2017 will lead to disqualification from award.
- STRP awards are based on: 1. available funding, 2. number of applicants and 3. successful course completion. Award amounts may vary from one semester to the next.
- A new application must be submitted for each semester in which State Tuition Assistance is requested. See Important Deadlines for submission deadlines.
- Applicants will be notified by email of application status throughout the semester. If you are not receiving status updates, contact the Education Office to ensure that your application was received and is being processed.
- The tuition award will only reimburse classes that are successfully completed. Classes that are dropped after the drop deadline, incomplete or failed will not be reimbursed. Official transcripts or a copy of the official transcript are required to confirm grades.
- This program does not pay until the completion of the academic semester. Therefore, if unable to fund the full tuition balance at the beginning of the semester, it is the applicant’s responsibility to request an alternate payment option, such as an emergency tuition loan or an installment payment plan with the school, in order to fund the full charges at the beginning of the semester. Classes may be dropped if a balance remains unpaid and/or no payment arrangement is made with the school at the beginning of the semester.
- Schedule changes, to include class drops and/or withdrawals, should be reported by submitting an updated course schedule and fee statement to the Education Office.
- The STRP award is issued at the completion of the academic semester and only after an official transcript or copy of official transcript is received in the Education Office.
- STRP award recipients will receive an email payment notification when the payment has been scheduled for wire transfer to the school.
- By Texas State law, this program is only authorized to issue payments directly to a college or university in Texas.
- Schools may take 7-10 days from the date the payment is scheduled to process the payment. It may take additional time for the school to update the student’s account.
- If the STRP payment creates an overpayment on the student’s account, then the school may issue a refund of the overpayment amount. The school may offer other options to handle the overpayment.
- The Education Office is unable to track a payment after it has been issued to a school. Only the school’s business office can see when the payment is available to be posted to the student’s account. Please follow up with your school’s business office or Third Party Sponsor Coordinator for payment or account status. Be sure to have the control # and amount of payment information available when following up with your school for payment.