Our office reviews each application to determine whether an applicant meets all the qualifications for a State TA award and to determine the qualified amount of each award. The review process focuses on 3 categories of information. An applicant must get a GO in all 3 in order to be approved to receive a State TA tuition award. The categories are: 1) Military Service, 2) Scholastic Eligibility and 3) Financial Eligibility
Click on the “More Information” link below to find more information about the review process.
State TA for Fall and Spring can now be requested submitting one application form.
1. Fill out the State TA application form.
♦ Select the option to download the document
♦ Open the saved document in Adobe Reader
♦ If using a mobile device, you can download the Adobe Reader app
♦ In the open document, click on the pencil icon to "Fill & Sign"
♦ Filling out the form electronically works best when using Adobe Reader
2. Sign the form and save the completed form in a digital format.
3. Attach the saved file in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Submit Additional Documents AFTER the semester begins.
5. Submit an Official Transcript AFTER the semester ends.
See “Deadlines” section for current deadlines of all steps
Click the link below for more details on the application instructions.
|1) Primary Application Deadline
||August 11, 2019
||December 1, 2019
| Secondary Application Deadline
||September 8, 2019
||February 2, 2020
|2) Supporting Documents Deadline
||September 30, 2019
||February 29, 2020
|3) Official Transcript Deadline
||January 12, 2020
||June 7, 2020
Additional Information On Deadlines
Award Funding Limitations and the “High Need Exemption”
State TA funds from 3 to 12 credit hours of tuition and mandatory fees per academic semester during Fall and Spring semesters only. The current budget level of this program paired with recent levels of participant demand does not allow awarding full 12 credit awards to all eligible applicants.
In addition to the financial criteria described in the “How Do I Qualify” section of this site, award amounts are based on: 1) available funding, 2) the number of eligible applicants for that semester and 3) the successful completion of courses.
The State TA Program will reimburse Service Members with out-of-pocket expenses for tuition and mandatory fees. Students are responsible to the school for all charges at the beginning of the semester. If all steps are followed, after the semester is over an award payment is sent to the school. The school will either apply the funds to new charges or refund the amount to the student.
Figure 1 shows a simplified model of the State TA process. Status updates are sent to all applicants throughout the semester. At a minimum, the completion of each of the 5 steps in this model will be announced to the applicant in a status update email.
The general process is detailed a little more fully below. More specific steps required to apply for this benefit can be found in the “How To Apply” section.
- STATE TA awards are based on: 1. available funding, 2. number of eligible applicants and 3. successful course completion. Since any one of these factors can change from one semester to the next, an award amount received one semester may not be the same as one received another semester even for the same person.
- Applicants will receive multiple email status updates throughout the semester. If you are not receiving status updates, contact the Education Office to ensure that your application was received and is being processed. See the section on “How It Works” for a list of expected status updates.
- The tuition award will only reimburse classes that are successfully completed. Classes that are withdrawn, incomplete or failed will not be reimbursed. Official transcripts are required to confirm grades.
- This program does not pay until after the end of the academic semester. Therefore, it is the applicant’s responsibility to request an alternate payment option, such as an emergency tuition loan or an installment payment plan, if unable to fund the full tuition balance at the beginning of the semester.
- Classes may be dropped if a balance remains unpaid and/or no payment arrangement is made with the school at the beginning of the semester.
- Schedule changes should be reported by submitting an updated course schedule and fee statement to the Education Office.
- The State TA award will be issued at the completion of the academic semester and only after an official transcript is received in the Education Office.
- By Texas State law, this program is only authorized to issue payments directly to a college or university in Texas. We cannot issue payments to out of state institutions or to individual persons.
- Payments are sent as a bulk payment that includes all awards for all award recipients at a given school. Schools may take 7-10 days from the date the payment is scheduled to process the payment. It may take additional time for the school to update the student’s account.
- If the STATE TA payment creates an overpayment on the student’s account, then the school may issue a refund of the overpayment amount. The school may offer other options to handle the overpayment.
The last step to complete a Tuition Assistance request is to send in your official transcript to show you passed your classes. Only OFFICIAL transcripts will be accepted. Unofficial versions or screen shots of your grades will NOT be accepted.
PLEASE NOTE: Send in your official transcript AFTER your grades have posted. If you send in your transcript without the grades showing, you will have to order another transcript.
The short version of instructions to send your transcript is to order an electronic PDF version from your school. If you are a student at Texas A&M University College Station or Galveston campus only, click on the link below for more information on steps you need to take when sending your transcript. "Do NOT follow the steps in the next paragraph. Click on the More Information link below and in the detailed instructions, read the information under Option #1, A."
For students of all other schools, login to the transcript ordering site for your school.
On the transcript order screen, search the list of recipients to find "Texas Military Department, Tuition Assistance". Select that option as the recipient and complete the ordering process. If you are unable to find this listing, enter our email address as the recipient: "email@example.com". If your school does not offer electronic transcripts, order a paper copy for yourself. Once you have it, scan it and send a copy to our office.
Once we receive your transcripts, we will send out confirmations AFTER your grades have been logged into our system. At certain points it may take a few days from receiving the transcript to update the grades. Please be patient, but if a week passes or the deadline approaches with no confirmation from our office please send an email to confirm if we received your transcript.
Click on the link below to see a more detailed explanation of the suggested steps to send in your official transcript.