Commentary by TXMF Staff
Planning a trip for the holidays? Here are a few tips to help with your planning!
Road Travel Tips
- Taking a roadtrip? Have your vehicle inspected before you leave, especially if driving in harsh weather conditions.
- Be adaptable if traveling by car. With construction, traffic and road closures be prepared for a change in route.
- Equip your car with a winter safety kit. Here's info on how to build one: http://readywisconsin.wi.gov/winter/HowToMakeAKit.asp
- Have a second driver and plan frequent rest stops. Fight fatigue and improve alertness by stopping to stretch your legs.
Air Travel Tips
- Stay healthy this season. Keep in mind the spread of germs. Get the flu vaccine and wash hands frequently
- Traveling by air? Plan ahead and leave extra time for long lines and traffic.
- Soaring the skies? Save time and money by packing light as possible. Airlines are getting stricter with baggage allowances
Home Safety Tips
- Avoid fire hazards. Inspect holiday decorations, lights, and extension cords for damage before use.
- Don’t overload outlets with too many decorations or devices.
- If you have a fresh Christmas tree, keep your tree stand full of water to avoid fire hazards.
- Keep space heaters at least 3 feet away from anything that can burn!
- Traveling? Have a neighbor watch your house or call your local PD to do a drive by. Use timers in and outside your house.
For more tips and tricks follow our twitter page @TXMilitaryForce and feel free to share your own #TXMFHolidayTips. Have a safe and happy holiday season!