About FTA Federal Tuition Assistance

Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) is available to all Soldiers serving in the Texas Army National Guard (TXARNG) who meet the following qualifications: 

  • Completed (1) year of service after successful completion of Initial Military Training (IMT) or Basic Officer Leaders Course (BOLC)
  • Completed (10) years of service prior to working on a graduate degree if FTA was used to pay for any portion of the undergraduate degree.
  • Have sufficient time in-service to complete all courses to include Active Duty and Reserve Component Service Obligation (Officers)
  • Maintain TXARNG “Satisfactory Participant” Status

TXARNG GoArmyEd Training

Future GoArmyEd Training Webinars Coming Soon

2018 National Guard Education Benefits PDF link
Download TXARNG_FY18
Education Handbook
Texas Army National Guard Federal Tuition Assistance GoArmyEd Reference Guide PDF Link
Download Oct 2017
GoArmyEd Handbook



GoArmyEd Helpdesk: 1 (800) 817-9990

Monday – Friday: 0700-1900 EST

GoArmyEd Assistance Center

Go Army Ed website link

Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) Policy Changes – Effective 5 August 2018

  •  The updated FTA policy introduces a tier system, eliminates the one-year wait after AIT/BOLC, and rescinds the 10-year service requirement to use FTA for a master’s degree.
  •  Soldiers must complete Advanced Leaders Course (ALC), Captain Career Course (CCC), or Warrant Officer Advanced Course (WOAC) to use FTA for a master’s degree (*if FTA was used toward any portion of undergraduate degree).

Learn More: Read the Updated FTA Policy and Frequently Asked Questions

New Army Credentialing Assistance (CA) Program Policy – Effective 6 September 2018

  •  This program allows eligible Soldiers to receive funding for courses or exams that lead to an industry-recognized academic or vocational credential.
  •  Army Education Counselors will provide additional information on the New Credentialing Assistance (CA) policy as soon as implementation guidance is released.

Learn More: Read the New CA Policy

In preparation for the projected increased interest in FTA, we encourage you use this time to activate your GoArmyEd account at goarmyed.com, ensure your civilian education code is current (contact your unit administrator to update), and resolve any GoArmyEd account holds (if applicable). Visit the GoArmyEd Assistance Center search for answers and information on GoArmyEd related topics: http://help.goarmyed.com/?cid=23928

TXARNG GoArmyEd Training 

Future GoArmyEd Training Webinars Coming Soon.

Federal Tuition Assistance provides financial assistance to Soldiers pursuing a degree and/or certificate.  Current Army policy limits Federal Tuition Assistance to:

  • 130 undergraduate semester hours
  • 39 graduate semester hours
  • 21 certificate semester hours
  • 21 "transition" certificate semester hours
  • Up to $250 per semester hour (No Fees)
  • 16 semester hours per fiscal year (1 OCT – 30 SEP)

All Federal Tuition Assistance request are processed through GoArmyEd (GAE) You may set-up or update your GoArmyEd account from any internet ready computer (CAC card not required). Follow the steps below to apply for Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) today.


Step 1: Set-up GoArmyEd Account at www.goarmyed.com

  • Log in to www.GoArmyEd.com using your user name and password or your Common Access Card (CAC)
  • Select “Create/Activate Account”
  • Complete the required information
  • Select the “Request TA Access” smart link; GAE will perform an automatic verification of FTA eligibility
  • View the “Welcome to VIA” video
  • Select a career goal, degree program, and home school using the VIA decision tool (self-guided)
  • Submit the request for approval; an Army Education Counselor will activate your FTA-eligible access to GoArmyEd
  • A counselor will email you when your request has been approved and you are eligible to request TA


Step 2: Request Federal Tuition Assistance (Step-by-Step Instructions)

Depending on the GoArmyE (GAE) school classification and the degree you pursue, GAE will present you with one of several enrollment paths. GoArmyEd will determine your path automatically and the Army will pay the approved TA amount directly to your school. If you are required to complete the GoArmyEd Course Planner, the planner must be approved to enroll in classes.


Step 3: Provide TA Approval Authorization to School

The Army Education Counselor will email you when your Tuition Assistance request is approved. Instructions to print your approved Federal Tuition Assistance Authorization form.

Tip: Is your GoArmyEd account on hold? Visit the GoArmyEd Assistance Center for steps on how to resolve your hold.

FTA Application Timeline:

You may request Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) up to 60 days prior to your class start date. FTA requests are submitted and approved, individually, on a class-by-class basis. If your request is not approved (ex. missing documentation), a counselor will email you instructions on how to correct the error and resubmit the request. If you request FTA on/after the class start date, GoArmyEd will automatically approve your request as “Soldier Funded”.

FTA Guidelines:

  • FTA cannot be used toward a lower or lateral degree.
  • FTA will only be issued toward one degree or credential at a time.
  • Soldiers must maintain a grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 upon completion of 15 SHs (or equivalent) of FTA funded undergraduate credit, or a GPA of 3.0 after completion of 6 SHs (or equivalent) of FTA funded graduate credit.
  • Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC) scholarship recipients are not eligible for FTA.

FTA Time and Grade Conditions:

  • Soldiers must reimburse the Army for any FTA received if they drop classes for personal reasons or do not successfully complete a class.
  • Non-successful grades are defined as an “F” or a “D” (or equivalents) for undergraduate courses, an “F”, a “D” or a “C” (or equivalents) for graduate.

Combining Benefits

  • Soldiers may use FTA and MGIB-SR (Chapter 1606) benefits during the same semester, but may not use FTA and 1606 for the same course. The use of all other Veterans’ education benefits to supplement TA is authorized in accordance with applicable VA guidelines.  VA Education contact number: 1-888-442-4551
  • Soldiers may use State Tuition Reimbursement Program (STRP)  (school must be headquartered in Texas to qualify for STRP) with Federal Tuition Assistance to assist with fees and tuition. STRP will not exceed total tuition and fee amount.

Transition Certificate Policy:

  • The Army provides an additional 21 semester hour (SH) allocation intended to help all Soldiers update or gain new skills to enhance post-service transition.
  • The Transition Certificate policy applies to all Soldiers, including those who have already used undergraduate and graduate semester hour allocations, by providing up to 21 SHs to earn a Transition Certificate.
  • Soldiers desiring to earn a certificate, but who are not planning on transitioning out of the Army (or are not within three years of ETS) may still use FTA to earn a certificate.
  • Soldiers may not request TA for a Transition Certificate within five years of completing a previous certificate.

Active Duty/Reserve Duty Service Obligation (ADSO/RDSO):

  • Active Duty Commissioned Officers or Commissioned Warrant Officers incur a 2-year ADSO.
  • Reserve Component Officers or Commissioned Warrant Officers incur a 4-year RDSO.
  • The ADSO/RDSO begins after the last day of the last course for which TA is provided unless involuntarily separated by the Army.

Army Medical Program (AMEDD, IPAP):

  • Soldiers may use FTA to take pre-requisite courses for Army Medical Programs (AMEDD, IPAP, etc.).
  • If you wish to receive Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) for an Army medical program (e.g., U.S. Army Medical Department (AMEDD), Interservice Physician Assistant Program (IPAP)) prerequisite course, you must complete the GoArmyEd VIA Decision tool (even if you are not pursuing a degree in GoArmyEd).  To begin using VIA, select the “Request TA Access” Smart Link. 
  • Review to the Army Medical Program FTA Registration process to apply. 

Specialized Chaplain Certificate Program

  • Chaplains are authorized FTA for up to 18 semester hours beyond the master’s degree or current graduate semester hour limit leading to one certificate: an academic certificate, program of preparation for certification, licensure, or capstone certification in an area of specialization regardless of one’s previous educational achievements. ADSO/RDSO applies.
  • Must be an Army Chaplain with a master’s level degree or higher.
  • Coursework / Certificate program must be in:  Marriage and Family Therapy, Counseling, Pastoral Counseling, or Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE).
  • Must provide a documented plan in Soldier’s eFile in GoArmyEd.

Army Strategic Foreign Languages Program

  • Federal Tuition Assistance is authorized for non-degree oriented languages listed on the Army Strategic Language lists.
  • Host-nation language courses for Soldiers assigned OCONUS are authorized FTA for up to 15 semester hours of host-nation language.
  • Foreign language courses which are part of a Soldier’s degree plan are authorized for FTA.

Prior service, regardless of Service, will be used to establish the one year eligibility date for Army TA. TA used while a member of another branch of Service does not have any impact on the use of Army TA.

Eligibility for Federal TA will be based on one year of service from the completion of initial military training (AIT for Enlisted personnel and WOBC or BOLC for Officers).

All prior service years, regardless of the military branch, will be used/ counted toward the establishment of the ten year service requirement.

Yes, the 10-year window for a second (post-bachelor’s) TA-funded degree applies if TA paid for any portion of your bachelor’s degree. The 10-year service requirement for a second degree (post-bachelor’s) will be based on your PEBD.

No, the 10-year service requirement does not apply to certificates/diplomas.

Not eligible (must meet the one year after completing Initial Entry Training rule.) Note – If you have prior service (any branch) and meet the one year after AIT/WOBC/BOLC rule, you can use TA provided they are not on any type of ROTC Scholarship.

The 16 semester hour is based on the fiscal year, 1 October to 30 September. TA is associated with the class start date within a fiscal year.

Yes, classes dropped after the start date in which there is a cost to the Army will count towards your 16 semester hour fiscal year total.

If you have to drop a class due to unforeseen military reasons, those semester hours will not count towards your 16 semester hour fiscal year total. Note: Military withdrawal must be approved by your Education Services Officer to be valid.

Visit the GoArmyEd Assistance Center to search for answers and information on GoArmyEd related topics