Brigadier General Matthew Barker is the Chief of Staff, Headquarters Texas Air National Guard, Camp Mabry, Texas. He is responsible for developing strategy and synchronizing the efforts of over 3,000 Texas Airmen at three operational wings in support of the Deputy Adjutant General-Air of Texas.
General Barker graduated from the George Washington University with a Bachelor of Business Administration in May 1992 as a Reserve Officer Training Corps Distinguished Graduate. He completed ICBM training in 1993, serving 192 alert tours as a Minuteman III launch officer. He was then selected for Air Battle Manager training and has been qualified as a combat ready Air Battle Manager since 1998, flying in support of Operations NORTHERN WATCH, SOUTHERN WATCH, ENDURING FREEDOM, IRAQI FREEDOM, and GUARDIAN SUPPORT. He has served on the Air Staff, the Joint Staff, and as Executive Officer to the Commander of United States Air Forces in Europe/Air Forces Africa. He transferred to the Texas Air National Guard in 2017. Prior to his current assignment, General Barker was the Commander, 147th Attack Wing, Ellington Field Joint Reserve Base, Texas. In his civilian career, General Barker is the G-3 Operations Officer for the White Sands Missile Range, U.S. Army Test and Evaluation Command.
- 1992 BBA, Human Resources Management (cum laude), George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
- 1995 MS, Space Studies, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, N.D.
- 1997 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
- 2005 US Army Command and General Staff College, by correspondence
- 2006 Air Command and Staff College (Distinguished Graduate), Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- 2008 Air War College, by correspondence
- 2014 MS, National Resource Strategy, Eisenhower School, National Defense University, Fort McNair, D.C.
- 2018 Air National Guard Commander Development Course, Joint Base Andrews, Maryland
- 2018 United States Northern Command Joint Task Force / Dual-Status Commander Course, Peterson AFB, Colo.
- 2019 CJCS Level IV Antiterrorism Executive Seminar, Washington, D.C.
- 1. November 1992-February 1993, Student, 4315th Combat Crew Training Squadron, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.
- 2. February 1993-February 1997, Minuteman III Deputy/Instructor Crew Commander, 447th Missile Squadron; and Senior Instructor Crew Commander, 321st Operations Support Squadron, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
- 3. February 1997-January 1998, Student, Undergraduate Air Battle Manager Training, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
- 4. January 1998-May 2001, E-3B/C Airborne Warning and Control System Air Weapons Officer, Air Surveillance Officer, and Chief, Sensor Tactics, 965th Airborne Air Control Squadron, Tinker AFB, Okla.
- 5. May 2001-September 2002, EC-130E Airborne Battlefield Command and Control Center Evaluator Battlestaff Operations Officer, and Chief, Standardization and Evaluation, 42d Airborne Command and Control Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
- 6. September 2002-June 2005, E-8C Joint STARS Instructor Senior Director, Chief of Weapons and Tactics, then Assistant Director of Operations, 128th Airborne Command and Control Squadron, Robins AFB, Ga.
- 7. June 2005-June 2006, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- 8. June 2006-May 2008, Branch Chief, C2ISR Capability Requirements Division, Headquarters USAF A-3/5, Washington, D.C.
- 9. May 2008-June 2011, Director of Operations, then Commander, 81st Range Control Squadron; and Deputy Commander, 53d Weapons Evaluation Group, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
- 10. June 2011-June 2012, Deputy Chief, Combat Operations Division, 603d Air Operations Center, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
- 11. June 2012-June 2013, Executive Officer to the Commander, United States Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein AB, Germany
- 12. June 2013-July 2014, Student, The Eisenhower School, National Defense University, Fort McNair, D.C.
- 13. July 2014-June 2017, Director, Joint Interoperability Division and Training Center, Joint Staff/J-7, Ft Bragg, N.C.
- 14. June 2017-October 2018, Vice Wing Commander, 147th Attack Wing, Ellington Field Joint Reserve Base, Texas
- 15. October 2018-February 2021, Wing Commander, 147th Attack Wing, Ellington Field Joint Reserve Base, Texas
- 16. February 2021-Present, Chief of Staff, Texas Air National Guard, Camp Mabry, Texas
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
July 2014-June 2017, Director, Joint Interoperability Division, Joint Staff/J-7, Ft Bragg, N.C., as a Colonel
- Rating: Master Air Battle Manager
- Aircraft Flown: E-3B/C AWACS, EC-130E ABCCC, E-8C Joint STARS, RC-26B
- Total Flight Hours: More than 2,200; including 548 Combat Hours
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
- Defense Superior Service Medal
- Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
- Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
- Aerial Achievement Medal
- Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
- Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
STATE AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
- Lone Star Distinguished Service Medal
- Texas Outstanding Service Medal
- Texas Medal of Merit
- 1997 Air Force Space Command Crewmember Excellence Award
- 1997 Yukla Leadership Award, Undergraduate ABM Training, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
- 2001 Distinguished Graduate, EC-130E Qualification Training, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
- 2004 Distinguished Graduate & Leadership Award, E-8C Qualification Training, Robins AFB, Ga.
- 2011 Honor Graduate, Air Operations Center Initial Qualification Training, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
- Military Officers Association of America, Life Member
- Air Force Association, Life Member
- National Guard Association of Texas, Life Member
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
- Second Lieutenant, May 8, 1992
- First Lieutenant, Aug. 4, 1994
- Captain, Aug. 4, 1996
- Major, Feb. 1, 2003
- Lieutenant Colonel, Feb. 1, 2008
- Colonel, April 1, 2014
- Brigadier General, Feb. 1, 2021
(Current as of February 2021)