Brigadier General Andrew J. Camacho serves as the Deputy Adjutant General -Air for the State of Texas. As the Deputy Adjutant General – Air, he assists the Adjutant General is exercising and executing command responsibilities and is the principal adviser on all Air National Guard matters. The Deputy Adjutant General – Air also works with the Chief of the Joint Staff to prepare the state for federal or state emergencies, to include manmade or natural disasters, and federal military mobilizations.
General Camacho received his commission through the Air National Guard-Academy of Military Science, after graduating from the University of Wisconsin in 1998. He completed Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training at Laughlin Air Force Base, Del Rio, Texas, in 2000, and was assigned to the 128th Air Refueling Wing at General Mitchell Field, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, as a KC-135R pilot. In 2005, he was selected by Headquarters, Texas Air National Guard to serve as initial cadre to the 147th Reconnaissance Wing’s unit conversion to MQ-1B Predator operations. As initial cadre, General Camacho was stationed at Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada, between 2005-2008, where he served as an instructor pilot for both the 11th and 15th Reconnaissance Squadrons returning to Ellington Field in the spring of 2008 to facilitate unit conversion. General Camacho served in various positions to include Chief of Scheduling, Chief of Weapons and Tactics, Flight Commander for the 111th Reconnaissance Squadron; Chief of Standards and Evaluation for the 147th Operations Group; Inspector General for the 147th Attack Wing; RC-26 Program Manager for the 147th Operations Group; and Vice Commander for the 147th Attack Wing. In addition, General Camacho is a Command Pilot and has deployed in support of Operations ALLIED FORCE, NOBLE EAGLE, ENDURING FREEDOM, IRAQI FREEDOM, FREEDOM SENTINEL, RESOLUTE SUPPORT, INHERENT RESOLVE and GUARDIAN SUPPORT. Prior to his current position, General Camacho served as the Wing Commander for the 147th Attack Wing, Texas Air National Guard, Ellington Field Joint Reserve Base, Houston, Texas.
- 1993 - USAF Aerospace Maintenance School, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
1995 - USAF Airman Leadership School, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
1997 - USAF Non-Commissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
1998 - Bachelor of Science, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wis.
1999 - Air National Guard Academy of Military Science, McGhee-Tyson Air National Guard, Tenn.
2000 - USAF KC-135R Pilot Initial Qualification Course, Altus AFB, Okla.
2004 - USAF KC-135R Aircraft Commander Upgrade Course, Altus AFB, Okla.
2005 - USAF Joint Firepower Course, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2005 - USAF Predator Flying Training Unit Pilot Course, Creech AFB, Nev.
2007 - USAF Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2013 - USAF Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2015 - USAF Inspector General Training Course-Inspections, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
2016 - USAF Inspector General Training Course-Complaints Resolution, Washington D.C.
2017 - USAF Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2018 - USAF RC-26B Pilot Initial Qualification Course, Key Field, Miss.
2020 - USAF Commander Development Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2021 - United States Northern Command Joint Task Force / Joint Task Force Commander Course, Peterson AFB, Colo.
2022 - United States Northern Command Joint Task Force / Dual-Status Commander Course, Peterson AFB, Colo.
1. October 1992-January 1999, Aircraft Maintenance Specialist, 128th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, General Mitchell Field, Milwaukee Wis.
2. February 1999-January 2005, Pilot, 126th Air Refueling Squadron, General Mitchell Field, Milwaukee Wis.
3. January 2005-March 2006, Instructor Pilot, 11th Reconnaissance Squadron, Creech Air Force Base, Indian Springs, Nev.
4. March 2006-December 2007, Instructor Pilot, 15th Reconnaissance Squadron, Creech AFB, Indian Springs, Nev.
5. December 2007-April 2009, Chief of Scheduling, 111th Reconnaissance Squadron, Ellington Field Joint Reserve Base, Texas
6. April 2009-October 2011, Chief of Weapons and Tactics, 111th Reconnaissance Squadron, Ellington Field JRB, Texas
7. October 2011-June 2013, Chief of Standards and Evaluation, 147th Operations Group, Ellington Field JRB, Texas
8. June 2013-September 2015, Flight Commander, 111th Reconnaissance Squadron, Ellington Field JRB, Texas
9. September 2015-July 2018, Wing Inspector General, 147th Attack Wing, Ellington Field JRB, Texas
10. July 2018-March 2019, RC-26 Program Manager, 147th Operations Group, Ellington Field JRB, Texas
11. April 2019-January 2021, Vice Wing Commander, 147th Attack Wing, Ellington Field JRB, Texas
12. February 2021-January 2023, Wing Commander, 147th Attack Wing, Ellington Field JRB, Texas
13. February 2023-Present, Deputy Adjutant General-Air, Camp Mabry, Austin, Texas
Rating: Command pilot
Flight Hours: More than 4500 flying hours with more than 180 combat hours
Aircraft flown: KC-135R, MQ-1B, MQ-9 and RC-26B
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
- Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal with nineteen oak leaf clusters
Texas Outstanding Service Medal
Texas Medal of Merit
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Military Officers Association of America
National Guard Association of Texas, Life Member
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Airman Mar. 1, 1994
Airman First Class Dec. 15, 1994
Senior Airman July 15, 1994
Staff Sergeant Aug. 15, 1998
Second Lieutenant Feb. 26, 1999
First Lieutenant Feb. 26, 2001
Captain Feb. 26, 2003
Major Jan. 11, 2009
Lieutenant Colonel April 28, 2014
Colonel July 31, 2019
Brigadier General February 1, 2023
(Current as of FEBRUARY 2023)
The date of publication indicated on this biography reflects the most recent update. It does not necessarily reflect the date of printing.