Major General Raymond C. Peters Takes Command of the Texas State Guard
MAJ J. Michael Spraggins, PAO, TXSG TMF
Camp Mabry, Texas - On Saturday morning July 25, 2009, Major General Raymond C. Peters assumed command of the Texas State Guard from the outgoing Commanding General, LTG Christopher J. Powers. After assuming command, MG Peters outlined in his remarks his vision for the future of the Texas State Guard:
- An organization whose members understand the meaning of “selfless service”. We fail if our organization becomes filled by individuals with “self serving agendas”.
- An organization whose members place their personal priorities in this order: their moral & physical health, their family, their job & then their duty to the Texas State Guard.
- An organization that continues to grow in members and meets the adjutant general’s deployment rate of 90%.
- An organization that adheres to law and policy and is mentally, physically and educationally prepared to accept any mission in support of the citizens of Texas.
- An organization that continues to create an environment where the contributions of our members are respected and we are the force of choice.
Major General Peters received his commission as a 2LT from the Texas National Guard Academy in June 1965. He has served in numerous units of the Texas Army National Guard to include Co C 112th Armor, 1st Battalion 133d Field Artillery, 2d Battalion (Airborne) l43d Infantry, 386th Engineer Battalion and the 111th Area Support Group. His most key assignments were as Commander, 386th Engineer Battalion, Commander, 142d Support Detachment (RAOC) and Deputy Director, Surface Maintenance Directorate, Texas Army National. Upon his retirement from the Texas Army National Guard in 1997, COL Peters joined the Texas State Guard as its full time Director and Chief of Staff. Governor Perry appointed COL Peters as Deputy Commander, Texas State Guard on October 2005, and was promoted to BG. On July 25 2009 BG Peters was promoted to MG and assumed command of the Texas State Guard.
MG Peters is a graduate of the United States Army Armor, Field Artillery, Engineer and Quartermaster Schools, the Infantry Advanced Course, and the United States Army Command and General Staff College. He holds a Bachelor of Science Degree from Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia.
MG Peters’ awards include the Legion of Merit, Meritorious Service Medal (with 6 OLC), Army Commendation Medal, Army Achievement Medal, Military Volunteer Outstanding Service Medal, Lone Star Distinguished Service Medal, Texas Outstanding Medal, Texas Medal of Merit and the Master Parachutist Badge.
MG Peters and his wife Mary live in Austin, Texas and have one daughter, Susan.
Article from VeteransToday.com, Texas State Guard Changes Command