About 949th Brigade Support Battalion949th Brigade Support Battalion
Motto: “Pride of Ordnance”
Originally organized on 1 June 1936 in the Texas National Guard as the 1st Battalion, 133d Field Artillery, an element of the 36th Division; Headquarters organized and Federally recognized 27 July 1936 at Fort Worth. Most recently reorganized and redesignated on 1 June 1987 as the 949th Support Battalion.
Campaign Participation Credit: World War II, Naples-Foggia (with arrowhead), Anzio, Rome-Arno, Southern France (with arrowhead), Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, Central Europe, War on Terrorism, Campaigns to be determined. Company A (Decatur) additionally entitled to: World War II, East Indies, India-Burma, Central Burma. Company B (Fort Worth) additionally entitled to: World War II, India-Burma, Central Burma
Decorations: French Croix de Guerre with Palm, World War II, Streamer embroidered VOSGES. Company A (Decatur) additionally entitled to: Presidential Unit Citation (Army), Streamer embroidered DEFENSE OF THE PHILIPPINES, Presidential Unit Citation (Army), Streamer embroidered JAVA. Company B (Fort Worth) additionally entitled to: Meritorious Unit Commendation (Army), Streamer embroidered EUROPEAN THEATER
Distinctive Unit Insignia:
The 949th Brigade Support Battalion Distinctive Unit Insignia, also referred to as a unit crest, was originally approved for the 949th Maintenance Battalion on 15 May 1972. On 1 June 1987, it was redesignated for the 949th Support Battalion.
During World War II, the Battalion was designated as the 155th Field Artillery Battalion and took part in seven campaigns in the European Theater, with two of the campaign streamers (Naples-Foggia and Southern France) augmented with an Arrowhead device denoting the Battalion’s participation in assault landings; these are represented by the five points of the star in the center and the arrowheads bookending the star, which is taken from the authorized crest for Texas Army National Guard Units. “Pride of Ordnance,” the unit motto, reflects the organization’s one-time status as an Armored Ordnance Maintenance Battalion.
The crimson field and light blue Lorraine cross recall the French Croix de Guerre with Palm that the Battalion was awarded while incorporating the colors associated with Maintenance units, the Battalion’s former branch. A laurel sprig denotes the Palm device; the Lorraine cross is an allusion to the Vosges where the Battalion earned the Croix de Guerre.